Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Rivera's Mural and the Occupy Movement

The connection between Rivera’s Frozen Assets mural connects to the Occupy movement today because the middle picture Rivera drew is mainly homeless people who don’t have enough to survive, and those who had jobs lost them, and now are being kept in a homeless warehouse. Then going back to the Occupy movement that’s going on today, every day when I’m heading to work I see that same picture of homeless people, or those who are just volunteering, to help protest the 99% who are being taxed and becoming poor. Across from the protestors who are camping out in their tents are Officers guarding business buildings. Now that I think about it, Rivera’s drawing is similar to the Movement today and it makes me think of what people were going through, through the Great Depression. When I think about how today banks are trying to charge those who use their debit cards makes me refer back to how the picture at the bottom of the drawing how the people are trying to take all their money out their banks. My research about the Occupy Movement is connected back to the Great Depression and how a lot of people were going through tough times just like we are today. Rivera’s mural top drawing and the Occupy movement makes me think about what people who are working and have on their business attire, think about those who are becoming hopeless.

No comments:

Post a Comment