Monday, October 17, 2011

I am who I am despite the neighborhood I live in.

My neighborhood has been going through some dramatic changes throughout the years I have been living there. San Leandro was a nice place to live and a great place to have your children grow up in. It first started off as a medium class area back in the 90’s and early 200’s the building I lived in was pretty nice for affordable people and a lot of friendly neighbors causing no trouble.
As the years passed by managers and mechanics who worked in my apartment building began retiring. They never rebuild our apartments because they cared for the younger children more, having a lot of activities, such as train ride around the apartment building. We started getting African American manager workers which was pretty surprising to see once in a lifetime, and they started accepting anyone who was low income to live there not really checking their background history. It began with a lot of selling drugs in the neighborhood and people started calling our building the “purple vill” knows as people selling marijuana.
They made many changes in my neighborhood by rebuilding the buildings and painting them more nicely and approachable to outsiders. Unfortunately this didn’t change the view and the people that live inside my neighborhood. It seem as if the managers were accepting younger adults to live in the neighborhood apartments which grew to an unsafe environment for the people who were living there for years like me.
For the first time in my neighborhood there had been murder which really scared me and others for our safety. There’s so much trash, and needles that around when young children are playing. My neighborhood doesn’t make me who I am; I am who I am despite the neighborhood I live in. Someone who may live in a good neighborhood may experience that they are who they are because of the good surroundings they were surrounded by. It makes me a stronger person to know what neighborhood I grew up in and it makes me want to help build up my community and make it a better place to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment